As an athlete, being “in the moment” will help you relax your body, focus your mind, calm your nerves, and eliminate distractions. These are all very valuable skills to have on competition days!
There are many forms of meditation and relaxation. What works best for you may depend on where you are, what you’re doing and how much time you have. However, below are several ways you can practice this skill in only 30-60 seconds!
Quick Hits: 30 sec- 1 min:
You can do these anywhere, anytime!
- Close your eyes. Put your hand on your chest. Feel your chest rise and fall.
- Feel the cool air enter your nose.
- Count your breaths. (10-20)
- Sit or lie down and scan each part of your body from your toes to your head.
- Notice how each part feels. (Tight? Relaxed? Warm? Cold?)
- Close your eyes. Pick out 3 things you hear, feel or smell.
- Open your eyes. Look around. Notice 3 things in your surroundings.