2020 Overnight Summer Camps Cancelled. (5/7/20)
After weighing all of our options, considering a variety of scenarios, and taking into account the necessary precautions required to safely run a camp amidst a global pandemic, we have come to the conclusion that cancelling our camps is the prudent response. It is with great disappointment, therefore, that we officially announce the cancellation of all ELITEAM’s overnight camps for this summer.
We have been encouraged by our nation’s progress and recognize that many states, including Vermont, are beginning to loosen their restrictions, so we are hopeful that we are all on a path to recovery. However, many uncertainties still loom, so until this pandemic is well behind us, it would be necessary to adhere to a strict set of COVID-19 safety measures while at camp. Given the nature of ELITEAM, and overnight camps in general, we feel this would be an almost impossible task. Some of the safety measures and concerns we considered:
- Adhering to proper physical distancing
- Maintaining proper hand-washing procedures
- Use of PPE’s
- Availability of infection prevention supplies
- Group size limitations
- Dorms and sleep density concerns
- Extensive cleaning & multiple daily disinfections of all camp housing, facilities and equipment
- Dining schedules and food service complications
- Vendor procedures for deliveries/supplies
- Bus/transportation limitations
- COVID-19 testing of all Staff
- Availability and accuracy of COVID-19 testing
- Temperature and symptom checks at intake for all campers
- Daily health screenings for all staff and campers
- Response and management of COVID-19 cases or probable cases, including emergency isolation areas and quarantine procedures
Given these factors, and their potential to severely limit camp life, or even worse, shut down camp altogether, we have chosen to err on the side of safety for the well-being of all ELITEAM families and staff.
In one respect it was an easy decision to make, as the health and safety of our campers, staff and ELITEAM families is our #1 priority. On the other hand, it was difficult to imagine a summer without all the kids. It’s simply “what we do” and has been the highlight of our summers for almost 30 years.
We are also keenly aware that summer camps play an important role in fostering a child’s growth, independence, resilience and self-esteem, not to mention providing the opportunity for summer fun, teamwork and connecting with others. Given the multitude of benefits, please know we did not make this decision lightly and took the time to consider a variety of scenarios and options before making a final decision.
On the bright side, although we can’t be together in person, there is nothing stopping us from connecting with each other every week throughout summer to share in all the fun, learning, and grit that is ELITEAM. We hope you will consider our new Dig Deep online summer training program as an alternative.
True to ELITEAM’s mission, the Dig Deep 2020 program is designed to educate and inspire. Our passion for building “complete athletes” remains the focus, and we’ve infused this program with ELITEAM’s signature creativity, energy and fun. Not only will the Dig Deep program provide an opportunity for athletes to make significant gains both physically and mentally this summer, but with so much uncertainty still ahead, it will also be a great way to ensure our ELITEAMers stay motivated and connected all summer long. We’re excited about the program and invite you all to join us for our Dig Deep adventure this summer!
Be well and stay safe.
Kelley & Doug Lewis
Final Decision On or Before May 15th. (4/11/20):
We are still holding out hope that we can run all the camps this summer. A final decision will be made on or before May 15th. Stay tuned. There are spots available in all camps. As a reminder, all deposits are fully refundable until May 15th, at which time we will reevaluate the situation. So grab your spot now, risk-free!
Camps Still On. Final Decision May 15th. (3/20/20):
Right now we are all dealing with a new and unusual situation, which is has presented many difficult challenges for us all. The current COVID-19 situation is fluid, changing daily, and sometimes even hourly. It most certainly is testing everyone’s patience and adaptability.
For the time being, all ELITEAM camps are still on the schedule and we will continue to plan for camps as we always do this time of year. In the meantime, we will wait to see how the situation unfolds in the weeks ahead and make a definitive decision regarding all camps on May 15th.
Like all of you, we are doing our best daily to stay positive, stay healthy and help slow the spread of this virus. We remain hopeful that camps will run this summer. Stay tuned. Will keep you posted!
Coronavirus Update (3/13/20):
Like you, we are diligently following the latest news about the coronavirus outbreak and remain concerned about how this might affect everyone’s health and plans in the coming months. At this point, the situation is a moving target and new information is being released daily, so we will continue to monitor the situation closely as it unfolds. For the time being, camps will proceed as scheduled. However, please know that the safety and welfare of our campers and staff is our highest priority. We are collaborating with GMVS and will stay abreast of the recommendations, guidelines and protocols set forth by the CDC, Vermont’s Department of Health and the American Camp Association (ACA), and will keep you updated accordingly in the months ahead.
Deposit Policy Update (3/13/20):
In regards to camp deposits and payments, we have made a temporary change to our Refund Policy. As it stands now, deposits became non-refundable and non-transferable after February 1st. However, due to the uncertainty of the Coronavirus outbreak, we understand you may be nervous about how it will affect your family’s health and welfare, along with your scheduled activities and travel plans for this summer. As such, we would like to reassure you that should you feel compelled to cancel your child’s registration due to the threat of the coronavirus, anytime prior to May 15th, we will issue a full refund of your deposit along with any other early payments that you might have made. On May 15th, we will reevaluate the situation and provide you with a status update regarding the camps. We hope it won’t be necessary, but should it become prudent to cancel all camps for this summer, we will do so, and issue a full refund of any and all deposits/payments made.
For the time being, we remain optimistic that the camps will continue as planned this summer. As such, we look forward to another great summer of ELITEAM action and fun with all the kids!
Leave a Reply