Muffins are a perfect snack for athletes because you can make a big batch ahead of a busy week for quick grab-and-go snacks! Start with this go-to muffin base, then choose your nutrition boosts to support your personal tastes and individual fueling and recovery goals. Add extra quick energy sources to make these muffins a perfect grab-and-go snack to eat before or during training, include more protein power-ups and healthy fats if you want to combine a muffin with a drink for recovery after workouts, and mix in extra antioxidants anytime to help keep your immune system healthy while training hard!
(Makes 12 muffins)
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour (or all purpose gluten-free flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup total of any Nutrition Boosts (pick one, or mix & match):
- QUICK ENERGY
- Dried fruit pieces
- Dark chocolate chunks
- Fresh berries
- Quick oats
- Banana chunks
- PROTEIN & HEALTHY FATS
- Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios)
- Pumpkin/ Sunflower seeds
- Shredded coconut
- Use full-fat Greek yogurt
- ANTIOXIDANTS (add 1-2 tsp)
- Fresh Ginger
- Lemon Zest
- Matcha Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Grease or line 12 muffin tins
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and any Nutrition Boosts), whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk together.
- Using a spatula or large spoon, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Avoid over-mixing, a few lumps are okay!
- Divide the batter evenly into the lined muffin cups using spoons or an ice cream scoop.
- Bake at 400F for about 15-20 minutes, checking halfway through. (The muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the muffin.)
- Store muffins in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.