DAILY DOSE OF DOUG-
Teamwork was a foreign concept to me as a ski racer growing up. It was all me, me, me. Times have changed and I am so delighted to see such teamwork at ELITEAM. In the High Ropes today the returning ELITEAMers were coaching and sharing their secrets with the new ELITEAMers on how to climb and conquer each element. We had two partner elements so pairs of athletes had to work together to literally “tango” across the high wire. Their were some “dancing with the Stars” out-takes for sure. And stories heard in the dining hall at lunch were 50% about other campers and how they performed, rather than stories about themselves. It raises everyone’s game if everyone is working together. We’ll see if that continues tonight during Swedish Dodgeball which is all about protecting yourself ; )
MEMORABLE MOMENTS from the Staff-
– Brock jumped out of his comfort zone trying the berg for the first time. After falling a bunch of times he dug deep and successfully completed it! Way to go Brock!
– Despite having no voice, Taylor never stopped cheering on her friends.
– Everyone loved feeling the burn during leg routine.
On “The Tango” high ropes element- Hunter and Quinn both overcame their fears. The first time they went up they couldn’t get on the bridge, but then they tried it again and were able to make it not just on the bridge, but all the way across. We are so proud of them!
-After being in the high ropes course elements this morning, Quinn happily reported to me, “I breathed and I got across every since obstacle!”
– Taping up black 40 gallon garbage bags on the shower doors today so the girls have more privacy when showering. (There was a lot of interesting and creative “blocking” going on last night. One notable was using flips flops as a clothes pin by wrapping the ends together with a hair band. Then using the “clothes pin” to hold an extra towel up to block the shower door.)
– One of my most memorable moments from today was our impromptu dodgeball game. Though it was raining outside, I was impressed with the campers flexibility and energy they brought to the change of plans, and ultra competitive dodgeball competition.
– I was psyched about how much fun the athletes had in the agility course today. What stood out to me was that every camper seemed to have a different favorite element. Some loved the slalom section, some loved climbing the gym mat mountain, and others loved running along a course of bosu balls. The awesomeness was confirmed when Eliteamer of 7 years Matt McKenna said that this was the best agility course he has ever seen at Eliteam.
– Winter climbed the Dangle Duo even after one shoe fell off!
– Lindsay crushed all of the boys on the Berg.
– Ella jumped out of her comfort zone and tried the Berg for the first time!
– “If you can dream it you can do it”- Matt McKenna at the slalom
– “Good better best never let it rest until your best is better and your better is best” – Matt McKenna at the Slalom
– “I’m going to go through the slalom the opposite way. Maybe then I’ll beat the record”- TJ
-Quinn wanted to touch the triangle on the vertical playpen. She then proceeded to climb 20 ft higher and get to the top!
– Hunter taking out all three of the other teams coaches in dodgeball .
– Adam spinning the wheel of fortune 15 times because he wanted to land on the space labeled “duet with Ben.”
What did you learn about yourself today?
Sylvie- That when I put my mind to something, I can do it.
Sophie- I can eat more than I thought I would.
Kyle – That I am pretty good at climbing the fish netting.
Will M. – I learned that if you push yourself really hard you can accomplish anything. For example, going blindfolded on World Cup Tightrope.
Thomas – I learned that I don’t like heights at all.
Hunter – I learned that I can always push harder.
Harry – I learned that I can push past my limits.
Winter- Believe in yourself and jump out of your comfort zone. I did this by going blind folded on the World Cup.
Maddie G- That I’m not afraid of heights.
Jillian- I am good at agility.
What was the best part of your day? Why?
Sylvie- Climbing the Dangle Duo all by myself.
Sophie- Ropes course, food, dodgeball & yoga- more to come.
Kyle – The slalom course cause you get to watch people wipe out.
Will M. – The berg und Tal because you get your time and then you try to beat it.
Thomas – The dangle duo because I never went that high before.
Hunter – The tightrope because I went further than I thought I would.
Connor – The slalom course because I fell by tripping over the gates.
Winter- Ropes course in the woods.
Maddie G- The ropes course.
Jillian- The long obstacle course inside and beating my time.
If you could tell your Mom one thing right now, what would it be?
Sylvie- I climbed a ton of stuff in the ropes course today and made it up the dangle duo with no partner while it was swinging back and forth like a dangling ladder.
Sophie- I miss you so much and I wish you were here.
Will M. – I would tell her that I have learned a lot this week so far and that if you push harder you can accomplish more.
Maddie G- That I got to the top of the ropes course.
Jillian- My legs are sore and our obstacle courses at home are paying off. 🙂